The Mommies Network Introduction

Our Mission is to provide a safe, secure, FREE place for mothers to find support and encouragement from other mothers and to empower them to be better women, parents and community leaders
The Mommies Network is a 501c(3) non-profit organization dedicated to helping moms find support and friendship in their local community. We were founded April, 2002 and currently have 119 communities in 33 states, with over 30,000 active members nationwide.

Find out more here : www.themommiesnetwork.org ~~Follow us on all the social networks Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram LinkedIn Google+
If you're interested in a guest blog, sponsorships or working with us please email blogs@themommiesnetwork.org for information.
Please Note: Posts on this site may contain sponsor, affiliate, and/or referral links. Read our full disclosure statement

Friday, November 8, 2013

Foodie Friday: Mom's Chicken Noodle Soup #comfortfood #soup #foodies

Its November!! brrr and I am feeling that chill in the air, time for soup! Last night here in North Carolina is was a brisk 30 or so degrees! The leaves are falling off my trees faster that I can even think about raking them up. I picked some rosemary out of my herb garden and brought it in the house yesterday, the smell is so good in my kitchen now!
Our local chapter here has a Soup Sharing meet and greet that is so much fun every year or so, my most favorite soup to bring is the easiest to make, at least I think so. It is a southern favorite here from my Paula Deen cookbook. (yes I am a GRITS girl : Girl, Raised, In, The, South..lol)...enjoy!

Great for those colds and flu that need some of mom's chicken soup.


Our Friday foodie recipe this week is ~~~ Paula Deen's Chicken Noodle Soup (My Recipe)





Ingredients

Stock:

  • 1 (2 1/2 to 3-pound) fryer chicken, cut up (I usually use chicken breasts)
  • 3 1/2 quarts water
  • 1 onion, peeled and diced
  • 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 bay leaves
  • 3 chicken bouillon cubes
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Soup:

  • 2 cups sliced carrots
  • 2 cups sliced celery, with leafy green tops
  • 2 1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms (I use fresh not canned)
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 1/3 cup cooking sherry (I don't use this and it was just fine)
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves (fresh is much better)
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan, optional
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream, optional (I just used canned milk instead)
  • Seasoning salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Crusty French bread, for serving (we love garlic/cheddar biscuits instead)

Directions

For the stock: add all ingredients to a soup
pot. Cook until chicken is tender, about 35 to 45 minutes. Remove
chicken from pot and set aside to cool. Remove and discard bay leaves
and onion. You should have approximately 3 quarts of stock. When chicken
is cool enough to touch, pick bones clean, discarding bones, skin, and
cartilage. Set chicken aside.
For the soup: bring stock back to a boil, add carrots, and cook for
3 minutes. Add celery and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Add egg noodles and cook according to directions on package. When noodles are done, add chicken, mushrooms, parsley, sherry and rosemary.
Add Parmesan and cream, if using. Cook for another 2 minutes. Adjust
seasoning, if needed, by adding seasoning salt and pepper. Enjoy along
with a nice hot crusty loaf of French bread.


Helpful hints: I have made this soup and it is wonderful, take some time but you can do it in the crockpot also. You can substitute some of the items, I used milk instead of heavy cream due to the calories/fat. I did not have any cooking sherry one time and could not tell the difference. I took this to a moms soup night and it was a grand hit. My family loves it with some cheddar /garlic biscuits.
I make and transfer into my large crockpot for traveling to get togethers so it is warm. I will freeze the chicken stock and ingredients and add my noodles the day I cook the soup.

Previously posted by Leslie Block on the CentralfoothillsMommies blog, reblogged here just for you.




No comments :

Post a Comment

If you enjoy our posts,please leave some comment love! The Mommies Network is on Twitter (@MommiesNetwork),Facebook pages, Google+, Pinterest and many more!. Consider learning more about us via our website www.themommiesnetwork.org !