Reblog from mommiesnetwork member blog "Chips Off The Old Block"
Vinegar is a crazy cleaning machine, even though the smell is not pleasant, you can save a ton of money by adding this power cleaner to your list of weapons against dirt and grime. I started buying white vinegar in the big gallon jugs now. I add some essential oils like peppermint, lavender and sometimes tea tree oil to my spray vinegar bottle to help with the scent. Using the vinegar in my laundry instead of fabric softener has really helped clean my clothes better also (just put it in the fabric softener area of your washer instead, about a half cup or so each wash). We have all real wood floors and I use water/vinegar/essential oil mixture to keep them clean and germ free since we have several pets in the house.
1. Counter tops - clean with a rag and vinegar.
2. Drain or garbage disposal - pour in 1 cup baking soda then one cup hot vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes. Run hot water down the drain. (Note: some garbage disposals do not react well to this cleaning method check all manufacturer instructions first.)
3. Microwave - mixing equal parts vinegar and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Bring it to a boil inside the microwave. Wipe clean.
4. Refrigerator - clean with a half-and-half solution of water and vinegar.
5. Dishwasher - pour a cup of vinegar inside an empty machine and run through cycle.
6. Plastic food containers - wipe them with a cloth dampened with vinegar to remove stains and smells.
7. Lunch Box - place inside a slice of bread that has been soaked in vinegar and leave overnight to remove odors.
8. Glass - remove film from the inside by letting vinegar sit in them for a few hours. Add a little rice or sand and shake vigorously to loosen stubborn stains. Repeat if necessary.
9. Mini Blinds - Dip gloved fingers into a solution of equal parts vinegar and warm tap water. Run your fingers across both sides of each blind.
10. Tarnished Metal - make a paste with equal amounts of vinegar and table salt.
11. Grease - use a sponge soaked in vinegar.
12. Sponges - placing in just enough water to cover them. Then add 1/4 cup vinegar. Let soak overnight.
13. Grout - let full-strength vinegar sit on it for a few minutes and scrub it with an old toothbrush.
14. Germs - spray with full-strength vinegar. Wipe clean with a damp cloth.
15. Mildew and soap scum - wipe with undiluted vinegar then rinse.
16. Toilets - pour in a cup or more of vinegar and let it sit several hours or overnight. Scrub well with the toilet brush and flush.
17. Stale odors - wiping down with undiluted vinegar on a rag.
18. Wood - remove water rings with a solution of equal parts vinegar and vegetable oil. Rub with the grain.
19. Scissors - clean off sticky residue with a cloth dipped in vinegar.
20. Odors - place a bowl of vinegar in the room overnight.
21. Hands - Wipe your hands with vinegar to remove strong scents like onion and garlic, as well as stains from fruit juices.
22. Cutting boards - wipe wooden boards with vinegar.
23. Dusting - use spray bottle filled with half vinegar, half water and lightly spray a rag to dust all surfaces.
24. Mildew - spray shower walls and shower curtain with half vinegar and half water to help prevent mildew.
25.Grill - spray a solution of half water and half vinegar on the cooking surface.
26.Sanitize kids’ toys: fill a clean bucket (or bathtub) with hot water and a cup or two of vinegar. Soak the toys, then lay out on a towel or cloth and let air dry.
27.Spiff up vinyl baby books or board books: wipe with white distilled vinegar. Wipe clean with a damp sponge or cloth.
28.When your hands get stinky after slicing onions: pour vinegar over your hands to get rid of the odors.
29.Show off that bouquet your husband gave you: to keep cut flowers fresh, add 2 tablespoons vinegar and 1 teaspoon sugar for each quart of water.
30.Keep the air in the bathroom fresh: make a solution of 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar, and 1 cup water. Put in a spray bottle and spray as needed.
31.Don't let your washing machine smell bad: Once a month pour one cup of vinegar into the washing machine and run the machine through a normal cycle, without clothes.
Have a great day!!