The Mommies Network Introduction

Our Mission is to provide a safe, secure, FREE place for mothers to find support and encouragement from other mothers and to empower them to be better women, parents and community leaders
The Mommies Network is a 501c(3) non-profit organization dedicated to helping moms find support and friendship in their local community. We were founded April, 2002 and currently have 119 communities in 33 states, with over 30,000 active members nationwide.

Find out more here : www.themommiesnetwork.org ~~Follow us on all the social networks Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram LinkedIn Google+
If you're interested in a guest blog, sponsorships or working with us please email blogs@themommiesnetwork.org for information.
Please Note: Posts on this site may contain sponsor, affiliate, and/or referral links. Read our full disclosure statement

Monday, July 30, 2012

Healthy Mommy Monday ~Poison Plants


Poison plants

The term "dermatitis" describes an inflammatory response of the skin, caused by contact with allergens or irritants, exposure to sunlight, or by poor circulation, even stress. An example of contact dermatitis is the reaction of a sensitive person's skin to poison ivy, oak or sumac. Contact with these plants, which contain a chemical called urushiol, produces an itchy rash, redness, blisters and scaling. AVOID SCRATCHING. Scratching the rash may spread the inflammation, lead to infection and even leave scars.
The pictures above should help to recognize these nasty plants. The oil or sap of the plant is the culprit, called urushiol. Read more here:
Poison ivy, oak, or sumac poisoning is an allergic reaction that results from touching the sap of these plants. The sap may be on the plant, in the ashes of burned plants, on an animal, or on other objects that came in contact with the plant, such as clothing, garden tools, and sports equipment.
Small amounts of sap can remain under a person's fingernails for several days unless it is deliberately removed with very good cleaning.

 Where Found

  • Bruised roots, stems, flowers, leaves, fruit, the roots contain the chemical, proceed with caution,
    when just pulling up the roots.
  • Pollen of poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
Your pets can also carry the oils of the plant indoors on their hair and paws.

Symptoms

  • Blisters
  • Burning skin
  • Itching
  • Redness of the skin
  • Swelling
Symptoms can affect the eyes and mouth in addition to the skin
Poison ivy rash on a leg 
This is a typical early appearance of a poison ivy rash, located on the leg. These early lesions consist of multiple small blisters, often in a line where the skin has brushed against the poison ivy plant. The rash is caused by skin contact with the oily sap (resin) of these plants. The oily resin usually enters the skin rapidly, and is seldom transferred from person to person. The rash is not caused by the fluid from the blisters. Thus, once the person has washed the oil off the skin, the rash is usually not contagious.

Home Treatment

Wash the area immediately with soap and water. Quickly washing the area can prevent a reaction, but it doesn't usually help if done more than 1 hour after touching the plant's sap. Flush the eyes out with water.
Carefully wash any contaminated objects or clothing alone in hot soapy water. Do not let the items touch any other clothing or materials.
Even your shoes, work boots, gardening gloves need to be washed. 
An over-the-counter antihistamine such as Benadryl or a steroid cream may help relieve itching.
Going to the ER? should I ? 
No--Unless the reaction is severe, you will probably not need to visit the emergency room. If you are concerned, call your doctor or poison control.
At the doctor's office, you may receive:
  • Antihistamine or steroids by mouth or applied to the skin
  • Washing of the skin (irrigation)

Expectations (prognosis)

Life-threatening reactions may occur if the poisonous ingredients are swallowed or are breathed in (which can happen when the plants are burned).
Typical skin rashes usually go away without any long-term problems. A skin infection may develop if the affected areas are not kept clean. Watch for any signs or symptoms of infection, redness, warmth, pus, fevers, etc.
Other helpful home treatmentsThere are many over-the-counter creams available. Try Tecnu Poison Oak-N-Ivy Cleanser. Tecnu is said to neutralize skin, clothing, footwear and tools and is available at outdoor and garden supply centers. Calamine lotion is also great for soothing itch and healing damaged skin after the climax of the rash. Calamine comes in pink and clear and is a classic antidote. An oatmeal bath can also calm poison ivy symptoms. You can buy a commercial oatmeal preparation (Aveeno), or make your own by wrapping a half cup of uncooked rolled oats in a piece of cloth and letting the cereal soak in the bath water. Squeeze the bundle from time to time or use it as your washcloth to release a solution that will help dry up the blisters and treat itch,
Take care when using "old wives" tale home remedies, some can cause worse problems and skin infections. Consult your doctor before trying a home remedy, 


 

2 comments :

  1. Interesting post. I have been wondering about this issue,so thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, thank you for commenting. Will be posting more like this soon

      Delete

If you enjoy our posts,please leave some comment love! The Mommies Network is on Twitter (@MommiesNetwork),Facebook pages, Google+, Pinterest and many more!. Consider learning more about us via our website www.themommiesnetwork.org !