The Mommies Network Introduction

Our Mission is to provide a safe, secure, FREE place for mothers to find support and encouragement from other mothers and to empower them to be better women, parents and community leaders
The Mommies Network is a 501c(3) non-profit organization dedicated to helping moms find support and friendship in their local community. We were founded April, 2002 and currently have 119 communities in 33 states, with over 30,000 active members nationwide.

Find out more here : www.themommiesnetwork.org ~~Follow us on all the social networks Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram LinkedIn Google+
If you're interested in a guest blog, sponsorships or working with us please email blogs@themommiesnetwork.org for information.
Please Note: Posts on this site may contain sponsor, affiliate, and/or referral links. Read our full disclosure statement

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Holiday Memories

Not too long ago on my Facebook status, I wrote that I thought it was amazing how a taste or a smell could catapult you back in time. Our senses play a huge part in our memories. Because of that, I thought it would be fun to share some of my favorite holiday recipes. Whenever I smell one of the dishes cooking or take my first bite, the years of fond holiday memories come flooding back.

When I was a freshman in college, my parents moved from our hometown of Greenville, S.C. to Florence, S.C. While there, they would frequent a great little restaurant called Benton's, where they would serve a wonderful, melt in your mouth, broccoli cornbread. Here's that recipe:

1/2 cup margarine, melted
1 large onion, chopped
1 10-ounce package of frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
4 eggs, beaten
6 ounces cottage cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 8 1/2-ounce package Jiffy corn muffin mix

Combine all ingredients except cornbread mix. Stir in muffin mix. Pour batter into a buttered 13x9-inch baking dish. Bake at 400 degrees F for 25–30 minutes. Serves 8–12.

My grandmother used to make a peach cobbler that would make your mouth water. I just remember how amazing it would taste and how that scoop of Breyers vanilla bean ice cream would melt on contact with it.

2 cups fruit
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 c. self-rising flour
1/2 cup milk

Cook fruit in 3/4 cup sugar until the sugar is cooked down into the fruit juice. Melt 1/2 cup butter in a 11x13-inch baking dish. Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup milk together, and pour over the butter. Next, pour the fruit mixture on top. Do not stir! Cook at 375 degrees F until bubbly, about 40–45 minutes.

My grandmother also made a macaroni and cheese that was out of this world. I always begged her for the recipe, but it was a closely guarded secret. I thought she would never give up the recipe, but about a year before she passed away, she gave it to me. I love this recipe, and every bite reminds me of her love from the oven.

2 c. elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook the macaroni like normal. While that is cooking, in a saucepan, combine the milk, butter, and salt. Bring to a slow boil, and whisk in the flour. Make sure the flour is combined completely. When the macaroni is done, strain it, and put it in a baking dish, then pour the milk mixture over the noodles. Stir in the cheese, retaining a little to sprinkle over the top. Bake for 20–25 minutes until bubbly.

I hope you'll share these recipes with your family over the holidays. And from my family, Happy Holidays!


Post submitted by Jill from The Mommies Network's Content Team

1 comment :

  1. Hello, I have been searching for that cobbler recipe and I am in tears of joy. My best friend's Mom made them and they both have passed away. This is the exact recipe. I have one question. Can I use canned peaches? If so, do I need to drain off the juice. I am so excited and will cherish this forever. I hope you do not mind me linking your site from my web pages. I am a singer and love to be able to feature others on my page. Sincerely, Justin Elias from Cincinnati, Ohio.

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoy our posts,please leave some comment love! The Mommies Network is on Twitter (@MommiesNetwork),Facebook pages, Google+, Pinterest and many more!. Consider learning more about us via our website www.themommiesnetwork.org !