The Mommies Network Introduction

Our Mission is to provide a safe, secure, FREE place for mothers to find support and encouragement from other mothers and to empower them to be better women, parents and community leaders
The Mommies Network is a 501c(3) non-profit organization dedicated to helping moms find support and friendship in their local community. We were founded April, 2002 and currently have 119 communities in 33 states, with over 30,000 active members nationwide.

Find out more here : www.themommiesnetwork.org ~~Follow us on all the social networks Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram LinkedIn Google+
If you're interested in a guest blog, sponsorships or working with us please email blogs@themommiesnetwork.org for information.
Please Note: Posts on this site may contain sponsor, affiliate, and/or referral links. Read our full disclosure statement

Monday, November 28, 2011

Involving Children in Charity

My husband and I strive to be charitable people. We do our yearly donations to various causes that are near and dear to our hearts. We asked for donations as part of our gift registry for our wedding and were pleased to have raised a fair amount to our charities. I've run some races and collected donations. I've cleaned up some city parks as part of my company's Volunteer Day.

This is that time of year around the holidays where there is so much overconsumption to the point of gluttony, and there are so many people less fortunate out there. Especially in our current economy. It really hits home that we need to do more.

I want to be the type of person who volunteers more of my time and is really present with those in need. But who has the time? We can barely get it together each night to get dinner on the table. With two boys under 2 years of age, I barely see my own husband, so how can I possibly fit in time for anyone else?

Well, I think my children will be my motivation. I want to be an example for them and teach them how to be charitable. I've read that as of age 3, this is a good time to start, as this is when children are just beginning to comprehend that other people have feelings, too.

I think we'll start with the obvious clearing out of some toys that we may no longer need and clothing as well. But as my children get older, I'd like to interact with those in need a bit more. Perhaps we could volunteer with the elderly or do some dog walking at a shelter.

I'd love to hear from those of you who make charity part of your lives and how you involve your children, especially around the holidays.


Post submitted by Trish from The Mommies Network's Content Team

1 comment :

  1. "If you haven't any charity in your heart you have the worst kind of heart trouble" to cure it help people, let's unite for one good cause, be a volunteer"save lives"!mawaddainternationalaid

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoy our posts,please leave some comment love! The Mommies Network is on Twitter (@MommiesNetwork),Facebook pages, Google+, Pinterest and many more!. Consider learning more about us via our website www.themommiesnetwork.org !