The Mommies Network Introduction

Our Mission is to provide a safe, secure, FREE place for mothers to find support and encouragement from other mothers and to empower them to be better women, parents and community leaders
The Mommies Network is a 501c(3) non-profit organization dedicated to helping moms find support and friendship in their local community. We were founded April, 2002 and currently have 119 communities in 33 states, with over 30,000 active members nationwide.

Find out more here : www.themommiesnetwork.org ~~Follow us on all the social networks Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram LinkedIn Google+
If you're interested in a guest blog, sponsorships or working with us please email blogs@themommiesnetwork.org for information.
Please Note: Posts on this site may contain sponsor, affiliate, and/or referral links. Read our full disclosure statement

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mom Blogger Spotlight: {Not Quite} Susie Homemaker

Meet our fellow Mom Blogger, Shell from {Not Quite} Susie Homemaker!

Tell our readers a little about yourself!
I am a 20-something fiancée, mom, student & early childhood educator. I blog about trying to balance all of these things while attempting to maintain {okay, actually, attain} a clean, inviting home filled with the people and things I love.

How many kids do you have, what are their ages?
I have one son who is 20 months old

Describe how being a Mom has changed you and your lifestyle:
When I learned I was pregnant, I was attending school full-time, working full-time, and holding two positions in a sorority. While my fiancée & I had already been engaged for over a year at the time, we definitely weren't trying to get pregnant. Our son, Shane, was a very welcome surprise, but his arrival definitely changed everything for us. We both moved out of our parents' homes and into our first apartment {where we lived for a year before buying our home this last June}, I quit my job while my fiancée took a hiatus from school, and I had to leave my sorority and switch to online-only courses so I could stay home and be with Shane. So just about everything about our lives changed- but I think it was all for the better.

What is the hardest thing you've hard to learn/overcome/adjust to since becoming a mom?
The social life- or lack thereof- is hard for me. I have never been a "party girl"- even though I was in a sorority I didn't drink and since I've been with my fiancée since my freshman year of high school, I didn't date. But I have always been a social butterfly- I just like people. So it's been hard losing contact with all of my friends who are still in the place of their lives that I was in when I found out I was pregnant. I've had to overcome the isolation in two ways: blogging, and making mommy friends. It was a little hard at first to make mommy friends, since I'm such a young mom, but attending community activities & working at a popular international early childhood gym/music center has helped me to meet some friendly women that at the very least I can go to play dates with.

What is the most rewarding part of being a mom for you?
It's such a cliche answer, but everything. Every hug, every kiss, every "Mooommmm!" just reiterates to me that I am where I'm meant to be in my life. Even when my son is being devious & ignoring my every word, I am proud of him for realizing he is capable of doing such things.

Are you a stay at home mom, work at home mom, or do you work out of the home?
I work between 4 & 8 hours a week outside of the home teaching, but for the most part I am a stay-at-home-mom.

What challenges have you faced as a WOHM/SAHM?
It is frustrating that I'm ALWAYS "on the clock"- my fiancee can come home & relax because he worked all day, so coming home is supposed to be "his time". Even though I chase around a crazy toddler all day, make three square meals for the tot & two for my fiancee, clean the house, put Shane down for naps, do the grocery shopping, blog, take care of the dog, do the laundry, etc. {&you all KNOW how long that list would be if I listed everything}, I'm still expected to be the one taking care of Shane from when he wakes up until he goes to bed. Because, you know, I'm a stay-at-home-mom. That's what I do. {Note: There was heavy sarcasm in that last bit.}

When and how did you get started blogging?
Back in high school, I had a blog on Xanga. The subject matter was way different than my current blog, but that was where I fell in love with the concept. When I had Shane, I started reading coupon blogs & from there discovered the world of "Mommy Blogs". I was inspired & {Not Quite} Susie Homemaker was born in January 2010.

What is your favorite part of blogging? What are your favorite topics to cover or types of posts to share?I like meeting people more than anything else. As far as writing posts, I like to blog about things that have happened to me, such as the time I got caught shoplifting in junior high or the time I got lost for over an hour in a hotel last summer.

What have you gained for yourself, and as a mom, through blogging?
I have been able to make friends that otherwise would have been impossible to meet. I have stumbled upon some great blogs by other young mothers that I can totally relate to- and since the age gap between myself & my next-youngest mommy friend in real life is six years, it's been great having those blogs to read & interact with so that I know I'm not alone. As a mom, I've gained so much foresight by watching other people fail at things- that sounds horrible but it's so much easier to see what doesn't work for potty-training BEFORE you try it yourself, right? I like to learn from others' mistakes.

Find Shell here!

Blog: {Not Quite} Susie Homemaker {www.notquitesusie.com}
Twitter: @NotQuiteSusie {www.twitter.com/notquitesusie}
Facebook: facebook.com/notquitesusie

3 comments :

If you enjoy our posts,please leave some comment love! The Mommies Network is on Twitter (@MommiesNetwork),Facebook pages, Google+, Pinterest and many more!. Consider learning more about us via our website www.themommiesnetwork.org !