The Mommies Network Introduction

Our Mission is to provide a safe, secure, FREE place for mothers to find support and encouragement from other mothers and to empower them to be better women, parents and community leaders
The Mommies Network is a 501c(3) non-profit organization dedicated to helping moms find support and friendship in their local community. We were founded April, 2002 and currently have 119 communities in 33 states, with over 30,000 active members nationwide.

Find out more here : www.themommiesnetwork.org ~~Follow us on all the social networks Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram LinkedIn Google+
If you're interested in a guest blog, sponsorships or working with us please email blogs@themommiesnetwork.org for information.
Please Note: Posts on this site may contain sponsor, affiliate, and/or referral links. Read our full disclosure statement

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Mom Blogger Spotlight: Kira from Just Like June


Meet our fellow Mom Blogger, Kira from Just Like June!

As my blog says: I'm a modern woman with old-fashion tendencies. I stand firm with my feet on the ground as a stay at home Mom and homemaker. I love my life and never apologize for my decisions. I cook and bake from scratch, crochet, make my own jam, and write my thank you cards promptly. Away from my duties at home, I play cello, love to learn foreign languages and read anything that I can get my long fingers on about existentialism, religion, and history. In a past life, I earned a Bachelor's in Sociology from a top University and worked in non-profit management. I quit a high-stress gig to be a nanny and realized, "THIS is what life is about!" That's the moment that the June in me woke up.

How many kids do you have, what are their ages?
I have one son, who is fifteen months old and is a ball of energy. We're hoping and crossing our fingers that we'll be lucky enough to have at least four children.

Describe how being a Mom has changed you and your lifestyle:
It's actually made me more patient and more forgiving, not just with others, but with myself. I'm a multi-tasker and a short sleeper by nature, so motherhood is a perfect fit for me. It's like nature's perfect job. I thrive on twenty things at once. I'm a bit batty I tell you. Before having my son though, I was harder on myself. I should do this, look like this, do this with my life, etcetera. Since having him, he's taught me that you don't have to be perfect all the time, as long as you're trying your hardest and being genuine.

What is the hardest thing you've hard to learn/overcome/adjust to since becoming a mom?
Slowing down. Oh, the slowing down was the hardest! Thankfully I learned to nurse my son in a carrier but there were times, especially when he was very small, where we'd have the 30-40 minute nurse-a-thon on the couch and I'd sit there going insane over all the stuff I wasn't doing. It wasn't until one day he really looked at me while nursing and let out a sigh as if to say, "Oh Mama. Slow down and enjoy this. Touch my skin, smell my hair. Slow down." Besides the slowing down, I think another really hard lesson for me to learn was that my son cries because he's trying to tell me something and sometimes he screams because I'm not getting it, darnit, and he's really angry. Little people can have BIG feelings and I really don't buy into the "sometimes babies just cry" notion. We moved to China when he was 8 months old and I remember a woman coming to my door to sell me something that she thought I had ordered. I didn't speak a lick of Mandarin and she didn't speak any English and she ended up screaming at me because I couldn't understand her. She was demeaning and I was so angry because I thought she was an idiot for not getting my simple cues. I cried after she left and I looked at my son and went," Oh my gosh. I SO get you now. When you want something SO simple but can't express it."

What is the most rewarding part of being a mom for you?
When my son learns something new and I'm there to see his expressions of being so proud of himself. When the sun peers through the window in the morning and I lie next to my son in his bed and nurse him while he gives me his favorite stuffed animal to nurse on the other side. When he says funny stuff. When he's screaming his head off like a psycho in a thriller flick and I want to rip my head off but then we snuggle together, read a story and suddenly the world is alright. Basically, every breathing minute of it.

Are you a SAHM, WAHM, or do you work out of the home?
I'm a stay at home mom. When my son is asleep for his nap or late in the evening, I do transcription work online, but I don't let it interfere with my time with him.

What challenges have you faced as a SAHM?
I think my biggest challenge has been society looking at me like I have two heads because I'm an educated, relatively well-spoken woman who chose to stay home. They don't understand when I tell them I didn't "give up" anything and that I'm really happy being home. People reflect a lot of their negative feelings onto others and I get a lot of flack for being unapologetic for my decision. Do I think it's right for everyone? Of course not, that's why I'm not you and I'm not making decisions for you. The way that people take my decisions so personally has really been astounding.

When and how did you get started blogging?
I started blogging as a way to bide my time when I was on bedrest after getting pneumonia during my pregnancy. I was bored, hungry, and had a penchant for butter. I also loved writing, so it was an easy hobby.

What is your favorite part of blogging? What are your favorite topics to cover or types of posts to share? My favorite part is the emails I get from people. It's really awesome to hear from other Mamas or even women who aren't Moms but who really like my recipes and tutorials. I have a soft spot for baking, but I really like to share a lot of different things to keep things interesting. So, you'll find baking, cooking, old-fashioned living tips, marriage tips, etc.

What have you gained for yourself, and as a mom, through blogging?
I've gained an outlet for my creativity and I've gained a sense of strength knowing that I make other women feel ok in their decision to stay at home as well. Women need to stop apologizing either way. It makes us look like doormats.

You can find Kira here!

No comments :

Post a Comment

If you enjoy our posts,please leave some comment love! The Mommies Network is on Twitter (@MommiesNetwork),Facebook pages, Google+, Pinterest and many more!. Consider learning more about us via our website www.themommiesnetwork.org !