The Mommies Network Introduction

Our Mission is to provide a safe, secure, FREE place for mothers to find support and encouragement from other mothers and to empower them to be better women, parents and community leaders
The Mommies Network is a 501c(3) non-profit organization dedicated to helping moms find support and friendship in their local community. We were founded April, 2002 and currently have 119 communities in 33 states, with over 30,000 active members nationwide.

Find out more here : www.themommiesnetwork.org ~~Follow us on all the social networks Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram LinkedIn Google+
If you're interested in a guest blog, sponsorships or working with us please email blogs@themommiesnetwork.org for information.
Please Note: Posts on this site may contain sponsor, affiliate, and/or referral links. Read our full disclosure statement

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Heather's Weight Loss Journey: Chapter 2

You are all so amazing! I cannot thank you enough for the support and encouragement I received after the first chapter of my story posted two weeks ago. Apparently when I volunteered to do this, I was having a fleeting moment of extreme confidence. And when that passed a lot of fear and self-doubt crept in. After all, I have spent the past four years trying so hard to avoid the very thing I was about to do: reveal the truth about myself.

I actually dreaded opening up the blog that Wednesday morning because I was so scared of what would be staring back at me. I guess I was prepared for judgment, criticism…or maybe even worse than that, no response at all. Instead, I read words that lifted me up, cheered me on, and gave me hope! As much as I was hoping to inspire others, I never stopped to think about just how much I needed your support too. So again, thank you. You will never know how deeply those replies touched me.

Okay, enough with the heavy. It’s been two weeks and I feel great! But it’s been a bit of a roller coaster. And in an effort to stay true to this journey I’m going to take you along for the ride! As I said in my last blog, I am using myfitnesspal.com to track my caloric intake, and Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred for my workouts. The first few days were HARD. I was so hungry. I couldn’t think of anything other than food. And Jillian Michaels was probably my least favorite person on earth.

But on day four or five things really turned around. I was actually enjoying this new and healthy way of eating! And I was so surprised by how quickly my endurance for the workouts increased. I found myself looking forward to my twenty minutes with Jillian each day (that’s right, we’re on a first name basis now).

And then just when things were going well…I injured my left knee. It turns out that’s pretty common with the 30 Day Shred. It’s an intense workout and for those of us who aren’t used to such vigorous activity, it can be a bit hard on our joints. I was really upset. I had been doing so great…I couldn’t stop now! So I pushed through and continued the video. It got so painful that it was hard to stand after sitting, and even harder to walk up the stairs. I spent lots of time alternating between ice and heat, and resting my knee as must as possible…while inwardly freaking out that this was derailing me significantly.

I so wanted to do 30 straight days of this program and to share impressive before and after results with you. It was really discouraging to see that slipping away. But during a heart to heart with my husband, he assured me that being real on this journey was far more important than being perfect. He said that injuries and setbacks are going to happen, and it would be vital to share mine with you all…as I continued to move forward and strive toward my goal. I realized he was so right.

So I took a whole day off from exercise, and I spent some time researching my injury. I decided to get a knee brace for my left knee, and a knee strap for my right (to prevent the same injury). And the next day, I put my workout clothes back on…complete with my armor of support, and resumed shredding. This time though…I modified almost every move to be much lower impact. I focused more on the arm weights and ab exercises than the jumping, squats, and lunges. For cardio, I worked on boxing punches to keep my heart rate elevated. I stayed within my comfort zone, but continued to keep moving! And after each workout, I would carefully stretch and ice. And I started noticing a huge improvement!

I still wear my knee brace and strap during workouts. And along with my modified version of The Shred, I have added some gentle yoga to my routine to make sure I am taking care of my joints. But the pain has lessened significantly each day, and I don’t feel any discomfort at all during my normal daily activities. It was frustrating to have a setback so early, and it was hard to experience this just when I started enjoying the exercise portion of my day. But the most important thing is I didn’t let it knock me off course completely. Previously, I would have just thrown in the towel and grabbed a bag of Peanut Butter M&M’s for comfort. Instead, I slowed down and listened to my body but continued making choices that would still help me reach my goal!

And here are my updated stats.
Current Weight: 176 (-8lbs)
Neck: -0.75"
(Sorry I didn't do chest...that's the one place I don't care to know of any shrinking! Haha)
Waist: -2.25”
Hips: -2.0”

So all in all, I know I have had a huge victory…not only physically, but mentally as well!! I am definitely in this for the long haul...setbacks and all!

5 comments :

  1. Keep up the great work! So proud of you! <3
    Amy from CM

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ate doing great. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very proud of you!! You are doing great. Keep it up! I keep finding excuses to not do it. And life does happen (my daughter has pink eye and her first ear infection). I keep finding that I am becoming more and more miserable with myself. Plus my husband will be deploying reasonable soon and he has all intentions of losing weight. I do to, but the question is: Will I?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's wonderful Heather!! I'm sorry to hear about your knee but way to keep with it and push through! Very proud of you! Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoy our posts,please leave some comment love! The Mommies Network is on Twitter (@MommiesNetwork),Facebook pages, Google+, Pinterest and many more!. Consider learning more about us via our website www.themommiesnetwork.org !