Chicken Tortilla Soup & Cheesy Green Onion Cornbread
You Need (for the soup):
2 Cloves Garlic
Chicken (2-3 breasts, 4 thin breasts, 5-6 cutlets, or any leftovers you can shred up)
1 Can Black or Pinto Beans
1 Can Petite Diced Tomatoes
2 Cans Chicken Stock
2 Cans Enchilada sauce
Frozen Corn (a whole 15-16oz bag)
Salt & Pepper
You Need (for the soup toppings):
- I recommend you use the Ortega brand of enchilada sauce - not because I have any brand loyalty or endorsement (ha), but because it has a meaty/taco-y base rather than a tomatoey/pepper base. The other brands are a LOT more spicey. It depends on what you like, really, but I prefer the way the Ortega brand tastes in this soup.
1. Cook/shred your chicken. The easiest way to do this if you're using fresh chicken is to boil it for about 25 minutes, and then shred it on a plate with forks. If you're using leftovers, just shred it up! I get this boiling right off the bat.
2. Chop up your onion to a fine dice & mince your garlic. Sweat these out in some olive oil right in the pot you plan to make your soup in.
3. When the onions & garlic are cooked down a bit (somewhat translucent), add in your diced tomatoes & corn. Then season with the list of spices - they all call for 1 tspn but I like to play around with it so add what you like! Don't go crazy on the chili powder until you know how spicey the enchilada sauce you're working with is.
4. Add in your chicken stock, enchilada sauce & water. Stir & check for seasoning - add more of whatever you'd like if you think it needs it. You can also add your jalepenos now, if you got them. And - if your soup is a bit too acidic for your liking you can add a few pinches of sugar to help.
5. Shred & add in your chicken if you haven't already. Then simmer for 10-15 mins.
6. Cube up your avocado & get your toppings ready while you wait for the soup to simmer.
I top mine with everything from the topping list above - but have fun, play around with it! The sour cream cools it down a lot - and the avocado tastes incredible with all the other flavors in the soup!
You Need (for the cornbread):
A box of Jiffy mix (or any other cornbread mix)
Ingredients to make you cornbread (I believe mine was 1 egg & 1/3 cup of milk - follow your box instructions)
Green Onions, sliced or snipped into O's
Cheese (I used a Mexican blend to fit the Mexican theme)
*If you're making these together, I suggest doing this first & popping it in the oven before getting to work on the soup!
1. Prepare the cornbread mix as the package instructs in a mixing bowl.
2. Chop up or snip green onions with kitchen shears and add it to the batter. I snipped up 1 bunch (the size grocery stores usually sell them in) and put about half in the mix - the other half we used as a topper for the soup.
3. Mix in a few good handfuls of your cheese - I used about half the bag, otherwise the cheese gets kinda lost in the cornbread.
4. Bake according to box!
Recipe submitted by Jenn Rychlicki (mrsLicky) from Buffalo Mommies