The Mommies Network Introduction

Our Mission is to provide a safe, secure, FREE place for mothers to find support and encouragement from other mothers and to empower them to be better women, parents and community leaders
The Mommies Network is a 501c(3) non-profit organization dedicated to helping moms find support and friendship in their local community. We were founded April, 2002 and currently have 119 communities in 33 states, with over 30,000 active members nationwide.

Find out more here : www.themommiesnetwork.org ~~Follow us on all the social networks Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram LinkedIn Google+
If you're interested in a guest blog, sponsorships or working with us please email blogs@themommiesnetwork.org for information.
Please Note: Posts on this site may contain sponsor, affiliate, and/or referral links. Read our full disclosure statement

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Heather's Weight Loss Journey: Chapter 1

One of our Content Team members, Heather, is embarking on her personal weight loss journey and has agreed to share it with our readers! We know that as a network of moms, many of us struggle with weight from time to time, and her hope is to inspire & motivate those of you in the same boat by courageously sharing her journey here. Below is her first post, so be sure to check back with us every couple of weeks to check up on her progress & cheer her on!

------------------------------------------------------

NBC’s hit, The Biggest Loser, is one of my favorite shows!! But I often hear the statement, “I’ve been overweight my whole life” and think about how different that has been for me. You see, I was thin for most of my life. Never tiny…those size 0/1 jeans have always looked like a joke to me. But at 5’4”, 120lbs and wearing a size 3-4, I often heard myself described as “petite.” In fact, I clearly remember my dad joking that I must have gotten the skinny genes in the family.

So what happened? How did I get here? Not only needing to lose a significant amount of weight, but voluntarily blogging about it.

Like many moms, pregnancy did a number on my body. I have two daughters and gained around fifty pounds with both. With my first daughter, I managed to lose it all…plus a few extra pounds by the time she was nine months old, thanks to the help of a very efficient nursling and a couple months of Weight Watchers. I was confident, happy, and felt great…even though my clothes never quite fit the same. (Will they ever? Ha!)

But when my second little girl came along, I was completely overwhelmed. She was an absolute angel baby so I couldn’t figure out why I was struggling so much. Looking back, I’m sure I was experiencing a bit of postpartum depression. I felt constantly depleted. I had no energy. I had no interest in much of anything, really. I also felt awful about the way I looked, but unlike the postpartum period with my first, instead of that fueling my weight loss, it just made me retreat. I stopped hanging out with friends. I hid from cameras. And even my husband.

All of my relationships took a pretty big hit, especially my marriage. Things were really rocky for a long time, which just further isolated me. So I continued to eat my feelings. I continued to eat as if my weight and frumpy clothes would make me invisible. It wasn’t a very happy time, to say the least.

But as I am writing this, my little “angel baby” is quickly approaching her fourth birthday!! And I am so happy to say that emotionally and mentally I am in such a better place. My relationships have healed and my marriage is more of a blessing to me now that it ever has been before. My husband and I have worked so hard to have a strong foundation; we have recommitted to love each other unconditionally, and we are much better because of it. And our girls are just the absolute best things in our lives! Things are pretty wonderful.

So my weight, my low self-esteem, and my health are really the last pieces of the puzzle for me. They are the only things still holding me back from being totally and completely content. I am still hiding from the camera. I am still hiding from people that knew me in my “pre-baby life.” And it’s time for all of that to change. I want to feel as good on the outside as I do on the inside.

I know there are lots of you out there who are struggling with your weight right now and wanting to make a change. Some of you may have more weight to lose, some may have less. But my hope is that as I share my journey with you, you will feel inspired to take that first step, knowing you are not alone, that you can do this, and that you are worth it!

With a HUGE inhale (and an “I think I can, I think I can” chant running through my mind), here are my beginning stats.

Starting Weight: 184lbs
Clothing Size: 14-16 or XL
BMI: 31.6, just inside the obese category for my height
Goal Weight: 134lbs
Plan of Action: Right now I am using My Fitness Pal (http://www.myfitnesspal.com) and have been pleasantly surprised! It’s completely free and lets you track your food intake, total calories, and exercise. I am also doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.

Before Picture:

11 comments :

  1. Wow. So much of what you said sounds like me. I was slender before kids. I lost most of it after my son. And my daughter will be three in three months and I am still needing to lose at least 40 lbs. I hide from everyone I knew pre babies too. And I couldn't tell you the last time my husband saw me with the lights on. I have been attempting to lose the weight for 2 years now...ugh. But come Monday, it's on! I applaud you and I hope you meet your goals!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. first off! you go girl! you are going to rock this! and second!!! thank you for sharing. I know I can so relate to your post and I am 100% sure many of us moms can totally relate. I am 5'2 and 174 and just had a baby 3 months ago. She is my third and while I lost all the weight and some from her pregnancy its the other two pregnancy pounds I carry around..... can you still call it baby weight when your "baby" is 10 years old and your other "baby" is almost 7 years old.... I think not. Anyhow I thank you for sharing with us and I will follow you on here! Good luck! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can DO this Heather! I was EXACTLY where you were - almost word for word. I can relate. I weighed about 190. I lost 50 pounds and I've kept it off for 5 years. I am rooting for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been able to say that I was naturally thin, but other than that, I'm totally with you. I also use My Fitness Pal and recently got a BodyBugg, which I am loving. Good luck to you! If you want to see how I'm doing too, it's at http://geekingmyweigh.blogspot.com/. Look for me on myfitnesspal too if you like, pammilou.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So proud of you Heather -- its not easy to put yourself out there like you are doing... but you are going to be the inspiration to SO many mommies! And I'll bet, you will find, that those same moms will inspire and support you along this journey as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got this girl and thanks for sharing! I can relate very much but waited nearly 9 years to take initiative. I started a couple weeks ago with www.myfitnesspal.com and joined Roller Derby a few months before that. I've been losing an average of 1 pound per week and it feels great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can do it!! I'm right there with you, same stats too. Thank you so much for sharing your story. It's been a real struggle over the past few years. I don't need to be a size 4 again, but it sure would be nice to better self image and be healthier not only for my family, but for ME.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can do this, and sharing your story will help you stay on track and keep trying. My blog has done that for me in so many ways in my journey to better health.

    Good luck! Fingers crossed for you, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Heather ! Are you up for friending other mommiesnetwork members on myfitnesspal ? I have the same BMI, I joined a couple weeks ago but need some incentive to get on there and actually work it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement. Your replies have meant the world to me today!! I'd love to have more friends on myfitnesspal! My username there is RedE4Change.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome Heather! I'm totally going to be starting the same journey soon!

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoy our posts,please leave some comment love! The Mommies Network is on Twitter (@MommiesNetwork),Facebook pages, Google+, Pinterest and many more!. Consider learning more about us via our website www.themommiesnetwork.org !