The Mommies Network Introduction

Our Mission is to provide a safe, secure, FREE place for mothers to find support and encouragement from other mothers and to empower them to be better women, parents and community leaders
The Mommies Network is a 501c(3) non-profit organization dedicated to helping moms find support and friendship in their local community. We were founded April, 2002 and currently have 119 communities in 33 states, with over 30,000 active members nationwide.

Find out more here : www.themommiesnetwork.org ~~Follow us on all the social networks Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram LinkedIn Google+
If you're interested in a guest blog, sponsorships or working with us please email blogs@themommiesnetwork.org for information.
Please Note: Posts on this site may contain sponsor, affiliate, and/or referral links. Read our full disclosure statement

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Help! My Boys Have Taken Over the House

I love being a girl! Makeup, hair, and lots of clothes: Is there anything more sublime. As a child I was all about Barbie and baby dolls. And shopping is the only sport I’ve ever excelled at. With two sisters, four female cousins, and 10 female nieces, I don’t have a “tom-boy bone” anywhere in my body.
 
And then, IT happened. At the na├»ve age of 29, I gave birth to an alien: a bouncing baby boy I named Cody. His itty bitty hands and feet, and beautiful bald head made me swoon. And don’t even get me started on his smile. Just shy of three years later IT happened again. I gave birth to my second son, Shane. He was the perfect baby. Really. He came out of the womb sleeping through the night and thoroughly enjoyed an eight-hour shopping stint. Life was perfect.
 
But then IT really kicked in. About the time that Shane starting crawling, sweet baby Cody became a boy. And before I could even blink, my little peanut, Shane, was right there behind him. My girly girl world of doing my nails, wearing high heels and stylish clothes, and decorating my living quarters with pretty baubles and such came to a screeching halt. I had just entered the world of all things male.
 
Barbies were replaced with Power Rangers. And shopping with impromptu boxing matches. For someone used to all things feminine, it’s seriously like entering a foreign country. Nothing makes you NEED Jesus more than having sons! Trying on clothes at Kohls. “Jesus, please don’t let Cody open the dressing room door while my pants are off.” Eating out at nice restaurant like Chile’s (That’s as nice as it gets with boys.) Jesus, please make Shane stop throwing food at the nice couple in the next booth. And, Lord, above all else, PLEASE, PLEASE make my husband stop laughing!”
 
Have you ever gone out in public with your sons whooping and hollering like cowboys and Indians and seen the appalled expressions on the faces of those girly girl moms and their precious daughters? In my head I’m thinking, what are you looking at? They’re actually being good. They haven’t tied anybody up……yet. Parenting sons is a world only those that experience it first hand can truly understand.
 
Boys are not all ADHD. They’re simply, male. It’s a world of loud noises, constant activities and unique smells. A world in stark contrast to a girl’s. And like their fathers, most boys’ ears are not tuned into the range of the female voice. Mothering boys is a tremendous challenge with tremendous rewards. There are many days I’m throwing up my hands, tears welling in my eyes. I just haven’t seemed to figure out how to reign my little guys in. Maybe it’s because our gender differences make it impossible for me to completely understand exactly what makes them tick. Or maybe it’s just simply because they wear me out. There is no such thing as a quiet dinner or a calm tea party at our house. It’s all about karate kicks, rock music and bodily functions.
 
But on the other side of the coin, raising boys is a world filled with excitement, new horizons and honor. Mommy’s little boys will one day be God’s men. A role held in the highest regard in The Bible. After all, there was no greater son than Jesus. What a privilege to have a hand in shaping the future of tomorrow’s husbands, fathers and maybe even spiritual leaders. And nothing, absolutely nothing, can compare to the hugs and kisses of a doting son.
 
Although a boy’s world will always remain somewhat of a mystery to the female sex, raising the little buggers can be done. Look at Billy Graham, Ronald Regan, even Kirk Cameron. They were all little boys once. But a mommy of boys support group is a definite must! Surrounding yourself with other moms who know what you’re going through is the key to keeping hold of your sanity. And hanging on to your girly girl, childhood dreams will take you the rest of the way.
 
Someday I’ll own my dream home and it will have an extra room in it just for me filled with all things pink and beautiful, and a big sign on the door that reads, “No boys allowed!”
 
 
Julie Pirkle is a freelance writer and a member of the Fresno Mommies community. Her sons are now 5 and 8-years-old. Read more by Julie at http://www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/jmpirkle or follow her on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/WriteUpYourAlley
 
 
If you'd like to contribute to the TMN blog as a guest writer, please email blogpost@themommiesnetwork.org

1 comment :

  1. Love It! As a mom of 2 boys, I so know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoy our posts,please leave some comment love! The Mommies Network is on Twitter (@MommiesNetwork),Facebook pages, Google+, Pinterest and many more!. Consider learning more about us via our website www.themommiesnetwork.org !