The Mommies Network Introduction

Our Mission is to provide a safe, secure, FREE place for mothers to find support and encouragement from other mothers and to empower them to be better women, parents and community leaders
The Mommies Network is a 501c(3) non-profit organization dedicated to helping moms find support and friendship in their local community. We were founded April, 2002 and currently have 119 communities in 33 states, with over 30,000 active members nationwide.

Find out more here : www.themommiesnetwork.org ~~Follow us on all the social networks Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram LinkedIn Google+
If you're interested in a guest blog, sponsorships or working with us please email blogs@themommiesnetwork.org for information.
Please Note: Posts on this site may contain sponsor, affiliate, and/or referral links. Read our full disclosure statement

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Your Kid’s Gifted? Mine, Too!

I find my son’s teacher to be completely intimidating.  She is quiet and kind and wonderful.  Terrifying, right?  Actually, it’s me.  I don’t want to be THAT MOM.

You know, the mom who thinks her child is GIFTED.  Or the mom who thinks her child is IGNORED.  Or is TROUBLED.  Or whatever family myth the child has been given.  Or earned.
I’m not saying that some of these moms don’t have gifted, troubled, or ignored children. Maybe they do.  I just wonder if ALL the kids in the class are gifted, the standards are probably a little low.  Because that would be IMPOSSIBLE (unless the kids are in the gifted program -- point taken). 
I mean how many geniuses, psychopaths, and weird kids are actually out there?  And where are they amid all these NORMAL adults I keep running into?  Did they all grow out of it?  Are they in jail?  Are they in a laboratory somewhere making little genius clones of themselves?

Regardless of this fear, I could not resist emailing my son’s teacher and telling her all the leaps and bounds he is making in language.  I thought that she should KNOW.  Then I thought that no one else should know about the email.  (Darn you stupid blog.)

E has always been VERY verbal which it isn’t surprising since I talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk.  And when he was born, we had only lived here for ten months, and I didn’t have many friends.  So I talked and talked and talked and talked to HIM. 

Also, I was a GREAT first-time mom, which translates into being TOTALLY TERRIFIED of him watching television. So more TALKING! 

I would walk down the grocery aisle and tell him everything we were buying.  He would spit-up at me in that loving way.  And the other shoppers would wonder why I was talking to the cream cheese.

As I write this, I realize that I’m giving myself a LOT of credit here.  If I had to guess, my son would’ve probably been pretty verbal without me.  I’m not THAT POWERFUL, right?

Now, I’m not saying that he is the SMARTEST KID IN THE WORLD, but don’t want to be the mom who hides his achievements either. 

So I wrote the teacher.  And SURPRISE!  Now I feel awkward. 

Because I wonder... Does THAT MOM’s kids get treated differently?  Better?  Worse? 

Honestly, I don’t want to know.  So what if I sent one email.  (Well, two, because I wanted to know how he is transitioning to his new classroom.)  But that’s not TOO MANY, is it?  Be careful how you answer that.  I’m paranoid enough.


This post is written by Alex Iwashyna, a happily married mom of two young children, who went from a BA in Philosophy to a Medical Degree to a stay-at-home mom and poet before the age of thirty.  Follow her on www.lateenough.com and twitter.com/failebg but be prepared for baby poop and liberal bias.

No comments :

Post a Comment

If you enjoy our posts,please leave some comment love! The Mommies Network is on Twitter (@MommiesNetwork),Facebook pages, Google+, Pinterest and many more!. Consider learning more about us via our website www.themommiesnetwork.org !