The Mommies Network Introduction

Our Mission is to provide a safe, secure, FREE place for mothers to find support and encouragement from other mothers and to empower them to be better women, parents and community leaders
The Mommies Network is a 501c(3) non-profit organization dedicated to helping moms find support and friendship in their local community. We were founded April, 2002 and currently have 119 communities in 33 states, with over 30,000 active members nationwide.

Find out more here : www.themommiesnetwork.org ~~Follow us on all the social networks Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram LinkedIn Google+
If you're interested in a guest blog, sponsorships or working with us please email blogs@themommiesnetwork.org for information.
Please Note: Posts on this site may contain sponsor, affiliate, and/or referral links. Read our full disclosure statement

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My Princess

Last week, I experienced a rare case of insomnia. My brain was stuck in high gear and all my attempts to sleep were miserable failures. After an hour or so spent staring at the ceiling criticizing myself for having not painted my bedroom, I decided to get out of bed. I drug myself down the hall, flopped on the living room sofa and flipped on the television. My intention was to find something mindless to bore me back to sleep. That didn’t happen.

What did happen was a certain reality television show that left me absolutely stunned and literally in tears. I am referring to Toddlers & Tiaras - a series that follows little girls and boys and their families’ in their pursuit of crowns, titles and benjamins. Have you seen this? We are talking fake tans, fake nails, fake eyelashes, fake hair and much more makeup than should ever be seen on a 5 year old girl. I was apalled.

Don’t get me wrong, I support healthy competition for our children. I mean, even “losers” get medals these days *rolling eyes*. These 5 year old divas are being trained to behave like 20 year olds and that is just plain disturbing. They have their mommy’s wrapped around their fakely manicured $30.00 fingers. Aren’t our children being forced into societal pressures and maturity early enough? As if that is not bad enough, these beauty queens are being taught - NO, brianswashed is a much better word - that being pretty and perfect is the most important thing they have going. WRONG-O! Barbies, playing outside with mudpies, giggling with other little girls their age and believing that mom and dad are their heros are the most important things going.

Oh, maybe you’re thinkin’ I am just a big hater? Ok. Sure. I’ll give you that. Every year about this time, I see the ads in the local news for our local Fair Jr. King and Queen. These ads get a big “humpfh” of disgust from me. Those kiddos are adorable in their Wranglers and cowboy/cowgirl hats, but I am thinking…heck, I can barely get my kids put together for a family Christmas shoot. I really do admire these mom’s of these beauty pageant contestants. Their creativity in avoiding meltdowns and tantrums is unrivaled. It really would be frustrating to spend the time, effort and money to transform your toddler into a mini Anna Nicole Smith only to have her meltdown kicking and screaming on the floor. What I do not admire is how pathetic it is to want to live vicariously through your child no matter the cost.

And what do I know about any of this anyway? I have a 5 year old girl myself. She adores the dress up trunk Santa supplied her on Christmas morning. She clacks around the house in her plastic pink heels showing her kiddie cleavage to the world. She thinks she’s gorgeous in her plastic diamond necklace and tiara. You know what? She is gorgeous. Her innocence and naivete’ are priceless and touching. I would kill anyone who even dared take that from her.

Guess what pageant moms? I don’t even have to spend my husband’s paycheck to feel that pride for my little princess - and she wins 1st prize EVERYTIME!




This post was contributed by Kathleen from HoustonAreaMommies.com


No comments :

Post a Comment

If you enjoy our posts,please leave some comment love! The Mommies Network is on Twitter (@MommiesNetwork),Facebook pages, Google+, Pinterest and many more!. Consider learning more about us via our website www.themommiesnetwork.org !